What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
– regularly drink alcohol-containing beverages
– diabetes or high blood sugar
– hardening or blockages of the arteries or heart blood vessels
– heart disease
– high blood pressure
– over-active thyroid gland
– psychotic illness, depressed mood, or suicidal thoughts
– recent weight loss
– seizure disorder
– an unusual or allergic reaction to benzphetamine, other amphetamines, other medicines, foods, tartrazine dye, other dyes, or preservatives
– pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I take this medicine?
Take benzphetamine tablets by mouth. Follow the specific directions on the prescription label. Swallow the tablet with a full glass of water at least 30 minutes before eating. Do not take benzphetamine within 6 hours of your normal bedtime because it may cause insomnia. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Remember: The prescription for benzphetamine is only for the person for whom it was prescribed. Never share or give your prescription to anyone else.
Contact your pediatrician or health care professional regarding the use of this medicine in children.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What drug(s) may interact with benzphetamine?
– alcohol containing beverages
– insulin and other medicines for diabetes
– medicines called MAO inhibitors- examples: phenelzine (Nardil®), tranylcypromine (Parnate®), isocarboxazid (Marplan®)
– medicines for colds, sinus, and breathing difficulties
– medicines for high blood pressure and heart medicines
– medicines for mental problems, depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
– medicines for seizures (convulsions) or epilepsy
– medicines to decrease appetite or cause weight loss, including nonprescription or herbal weight-loss medicines
– sodium bicarbonate
– some medicines for migraines
– thyroid hormones